Some Before and After furniture pics….

This is before

I really loved these tables (there are two of them, the pic is the before and after of the last one I did…cause I didn’t think to take pics of the first one) from the first moment that I saw them. The design is timeless and practical…for me at least. They are just taller than the average end table, and bigger around than any end table, or occasional table. The wing or drop leaf makes them easy to place.

wing table

I was visiting my brother Robert, and as we walked in through his garage I saw them.  Me being my bratty little sister self, I pointed and said, “I want those!!” my brother being the wonderful big brother that he is, loaded them up into my truck.  He really is a good brother. The after pics is of each one in very different lighting with that in mind, yes…one is significantly darker than the other. The tops are two different kinds of wood.

wing table2CAM00419

Once I got them refinished…which took some time (mainly cause I was working on so much other stuff)…  I was not disappointed. These drop leaf tables came out better than I could have thought.  This is one time where paint just wasn’t the right thing to do. I sanded them…the finish was so worn, that there really wasn’t much finish left. and then I tacked and stained them with Minwax Red Mahogany and did three coats of Minwax polyurethane (thin coat, dry, sand with 220, repeat….  like shampoo

This dresser was part of a set that had belonged to my grandmother.  I loved my grandmother very much…but I did not love the look of this bedroom set.  Once again…my brother Robert called me and asked me if I wanted it..I said, ” YES!!!!  but I am gonna paint it red…”  He laughed…(I think he thinks I am whacky….I dunno…)



I worked on this thing for almost a month…I needed something to put the TV on!  So I stripped and sanded…and sanded,….and sanded,……  Then primed, let dry, sand, prime let dry sand…..

CAM00540CAM00594 and then I painted….let paint dry, sanded…paint, let paint dry, sanded…  days, and days….  I think that is where most people give up.  Once you strip, and sand a piece, the work has just begun.  Primer (if its an oil based primer) I let dry for at least 12 hours…(usually 12 to 24…I live in Florida…always humid) then sand, tack or clean off very well.  With oil based primers you absolutely HAVE to let it dry…COMPLETELY!!!!  If you don’t… it won’t cure…it will stay tacky to the touch…yuk.  Then you will have to do it all over again to make it right. Water based primers usually dry fairly quickly, but there are times when I won’t use them.  I am not an expert, and what I post is just observances by trial and error.


I did the dresser in Olympic’s Red Gumball and antiqued it with watered down black and brown latex craft paint (about two tablespoons of each, added water and stirred until completely mixed…I sponged it on, then wiped it off).  It dried for 12 hours before I brought it in and it was tacky in places…it was another 24 hours before it was dried completely and we put the TV on it.

I hope you like what you saw, I will being posting more ongoing projects and projects already completed as time goes on. So, Check back!!